While Paul Bunyan and his ox Babe had to rely on an ax to fell trees and split wood, today there are safer, more time-efficient and user-friendly ways to split wood. Did you know electric log splitters can be a convenient, cost-efficient upgrade for you and your family? These devices run on electricity, so have no gas emissions, are portable, save on the wear and tear of your body, and have inherent safety features.
You’ll be able to split wood faster (some units offer 4-way splitters that split a lot into four pieces with one pass) and free up time for other things you’d like to be doing.
If you haven’t considered a log splitter before, now is a great time to do so. Take a look at the information we have gathered for you. You may be surprised at how cost-effective the units are. small and portable while robust and heavy-duty.
Unlike the unwieldy and unsafe swing of an ax, these units have a variety of safety features and can perform the same tasks in a fraction of the time. If you have logs available but prefer not to swing an ax, so you get split firewood delivered each year, the right electric log splitter can pay for itself in a year or two.
Check out these splitters and choose the unit which best fits your budget and lifestyle needs.
08. Champion 7-Ton Compact Horizontal Gas Log Splitters
Champion’s model 90720 7-ton log splitter has a low profile and integrated cradle, allowing for easy log loading. The powerful 80cc engine easily splits through logs up to 50 pounds and as long as 19 inches. This unit is designed for safety and efficiency with the log cradle that keeps the logs in place, a low oil shutoff to prevent motor burnout, a 20-second cycle time, and a skewed wedge that enhances the log splitting process.
This Champion log splitter is easily portable with its compact length, never-flat tires, comfortable handle, and lightweight at just under 144 lbs. It even fits in the back end of a pickup truck for easy portability.
- Back saving low profile design and auto-return valve
- High capacity output cutting up to 50-pound logs with as much as 180 cycles an hour
- Single-cylinder engine protected by cast-iron sleeve
- Flat-free solid 10″ wheels
- Reliable 2-year limited warranty with free lifetime expert technical support
07. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitters
Boss’s electric ES7T20 7-ton log splitter is compact and mighty. The unit is delivered fully assembled and has superior hydraulics at 3,500 psi with a log diameter capacity up to 10″ and 20.5″ long. The location of the handle allows for convenient one-hand operation. Electric power means no running out of gasoline part way through your task; it also allows for winter operation in a warmer garage, outbuilding, or barn.
The 2HP motor runs on a 120V standard 3-prong outlet. Cycle time is an efficient 14 seconds with a 7-ton force.
- Cleaner operation without foul-smelling gas fumes
- Easy one-person operation
- Durable steel splitting wedge can be sharpened when needed
- Offers a 4-way splitter option
- 2-year limited warranty
06. Wen 6.5-ton Electric Log Splitter
Wen’s model 56207 electric log splitter features a dominant 2.5 horsepower 3574 RPM motor with a 14.75” cylinder stroke. The large 16 square inch push plate easily handles even hardwood logs up to 20.5” long with a maximum diameter up to 10”.
This model boasts easy portability on the flat-free solid 5.5” wheels with the onboard handle. The unit electric cord has both a grounding plug and conductor and conveniently uses a standard three-prong outlet.
- Optional 34-inch stand to raise the unit for comfort and convenience
- Warranted for 2-years or 500 hours use
- Ease of portability at only 98 lbs without the stand
- Low profile without stand for easy loading
- Safe two-handed operation
05. Sun Joe LJ602E 5-Ton 15-Amp Electric Log Splitters
Sun Joe’s model LJ602E electric log splitter has a 10,000 lb force, a hydraulic ram with an automatic cylinder return. Its steel construction is solid, easily handling logs up to 20.5″ in length up to 10.5″ diameter. The compact 39″ length and 10″ width makes this ideal for light-duty and home use. At a lightweight 93 lbs, the log splitter is easy to maneuver around your yard, having a handle with a comfort grip and rear 6″ wheels.
The two-legged stand at the front of the unit adds a strong level of stability for the novice user. The steel wedge safely and easily handles any type of seasoned wood.
- Durable steel construction
- Safe, two-handed switch system and overload circuit button
- Full 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Low profile 19″ height makes for easy loading
- Robust 15-amp motor
04. Boss Industrial EC5T20 Electric Log Splitters
The Boss Industrial model EC5T20 electric wood splitter is compact enough for easy use and powerful enough to handle all your personal firewood needs. The 110 lb unit is only 38″ long, 11″ wide and 19″ high. At 107 pounds, it’s easy to move on the durable 6″ wheels, when and where you need it.
This machine offers a couple of exciting options. First, they offer an optional 4-way wedge for both vertical and horizontal cuts in a single pass, literally ‘cuts’ your work time in half! The second option is a stand that elevates the unit to a more ergonomic height.
- Free of emissions so safe to use in a garage or outbuilding
- Wide, heavy-duty log trays and durable steel construction
- Optional one-handed operation
- Beefy 1.8 hp, 3400 rpm motor
- 2 year residential and 180-day commercial warranty
03. Boss Industrial 10-ton Electric Log Splitters
The Boss Industrial model ED10T20 electric wood splitter is their premier heavy-duty electric splitter. Creating 10 ton of splitting force with the 2.3 hp motor and 3200 psi hydraulics, this unit can handle even the toughest logs up to 13.5″ in diameter and up to 20.5″ long. Heavy gauge tube steel makes up the extra-wide log trays. At 214 pounds, this splitter can be towed. It requires a 20 Amp circuit for operation.
This unit incorporates their patented two-direction splitting, meaning you don’t waste time taking the logs off the pass, then wait for the arm to return to its original position, then have to individually reload each of the logs for the second cut. To save even more time and effort, we suggest you purchase the optional 4-way cross wedge, which will split the log into four pieces with one pass.
- The height of the unit is ergonomically suited for standing operation
- Large-sized splitting wedge at 6.85″
- Convenient one-hand operation
- Durable hydraulic system
- 2-year residential warranty and 180 days commercial or rental warranty
02. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitters
The Yardmax model YS0552 electric log splitter is a compact 40″ long, 18″ wide unit that offers 5 tons of cutting impact for residential use. Weighing in at only 100 pounds, it’s easy to navigate wherever you need it. The larger 7″ wheels allow for easier movement over uneven ground and are larger than most units in this class.
Yardmax is known for its design innovation, and this unit is no exception. This model has a unique design that allows you to use the unit as it comes or attach it to the stand to elevate the splitter to standing height. The design also includes a tray to catch the logs and a stroke limiter to reduce cycle time for shorter logs.
As a safety feature, this machine requires a two-handed operation; if you release one hand, the unit shuts off to ensure the user remains safe. It operates with a standard electric outlet that can accommodate a grounded 3-prong plug.
- Ram adjusts for shorter logs
- Lightweight and durable
- Quiet motor operation
- The splitting unit arrives fully assembled
- 2-year residential warranty and 90-day commercial warranty
01. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SELS60 6 Ton – Log Splitters
The Southland model SELS60 an electric log splitter is a heavy-duty machine. The 1.75 HP heavy-duty induction motor easily handles big and small logs of all species.
The unit has an 18 second cycle time with a built-in stroke limiter that the user can adjust for shorter logs.
This will eliminate or reduce wasted time waiting for the splitter to complete a full 18-second cycle.
The solid but mighty 104 lb, 39″ long unit is only 12″ wide and 19″ high. The low profile allows for easy loading of logs. The 5″ steel splitting wedge easily cuts through the wood. The comfort grip handles allow for easy movement to exactly where you need it.
A special feature of this model is that it can be stored horizontally or vertically. When stored upright, it takes up a fraction of the space that horizontal storage requires.
- Vertical storage capability saves space
- The design allows the user to easily move and maneuver the splitter
- Integrated stroke limiter
- Robust splitting wedge
- 2 year limited warranty
Tips to Consider When Choosing an Electric Log Splitter:
- Dimensions: The size of the log splitter – and the size of the logs you want to split – are very important. It’s necessary to ensure you select a machine that can handle the largest wood you want to split. Height is also relevant when you think of picking logs up from the ground and loading them onto the log tray. Low profile units are easier to load the logs onto; units with stands are more ergonomic for standing, but the logs need to be lifted higher to load.
- Storage Space: Many splitters need to remain horizontal when stored. If the space for storage is limited, you may want to consider an electric log splitter that gives you the option of storing either vertically or horizontally.
- Construction Quality: These machines tend to be robust, as the job they do is not an easy one. However, some splitters are advertised as heavy-duty, have varying sizes of log trays, and even offer optional wedges to cut vertically and horizontally in one pass. Think about the frequency you will use the equipment, whether you will be cutting hardwoods or softer woods, and the quantity of wood you will process throughout the year. Also, you will want to note if your desired unit uses a regular grounded electric outlet or if it requires a special electric source.
- Portability: Weight, length, width, and height all come into play when you think about moving the unit. Consider if you want to be able to move the machine manually or if you would prefer to tow it. Ponder where you are going to store it and how easy it will be to get it in and out.
Why Purchase an Electric Log Splitter?
Although not everyone burns wood, those of us who do know it can be expensive to purchase split wood, it’s not always readily available year-round, and even when we have it delivered, it’s not always split the size we want for our fires. And if you have been ax-splitting for years, you understand how hard it is to split wood, how time-consuming it can be, and how dangerous one little slip can be.
List Best Sellers:
We have pulled together what we believe are the critical elements for you to consider before purchasing an electric log splitter. Whether your firewood needs are to thin out a forest and sell the wood, to split some trees, remove some from your yard, to split wood to heat your home during cold days and nights, or because you want to feed your outdoor pizza oven, an electric log splitter can be the right answer for you.
Don’t take our word for it; check out what other customers are saying about these models. And after you select the best make and model for you, come back to us for your purchase. We want you to benefit from our proven track record of customer service excellence.